Taunton Junior Young Singer
Taunton Junior Young Singer is open to any singer (except previous winners) resident, or attending school, within a 50-mile radius of Taunton and aged between nine and 13 on 1st September 2017. Entrants should be grade four standard or above – teacher’s recommendation is sufficient if no exams have been taken.
The competition will take place on Saturday 24th February 2018
Venue: Temple Methodist Church
Adjudicator: Madeleine Shaw
Programme: A recital of 7 – 10 minutes duration
Closing date for applications: 2th February 2018
Entry Fee: £15
To apply, please download this application form and sent it to:
Mrs Nicola Ridley
27 Church Street
Competition Rules 2018
- Singers need to be between nine and 13 on 1st September 2017
- Singers should be grade four standard or above.
- Singers should present a contrasting programme lasting between 7 and 10 minutes. Only one item of musical theatre repertoire should be included.
- Copies of the chosen music must be provided for the adjudicator.
- Photocopies will be retained and destroyed immediately after the event, in accordance with copyright regulations. (See festival rules)
- Singers should provide their own accompanists, please Nikki Ridley if you need a recommendation.
- Competitors are encouraged to enter other festival classes (not mandatory).
The winner will receive a prize of £100 and the Cleves Cup. There will be a second prize of £50 and a third prize of £25. In addition, the adjudicator will have the chance to award ‘highly commended’ status to additional singers at his discretion.
THE ORGANISERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ADJUST THE RULES, SHOULD THIS BE IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE COMPETITION.
Competition Results 2015/16
The competition took take place on Saturday 27th February 2016. Tom Robson was the adjudicator.
The inaugural Taunton Junior Young Singer (generously sponsored by Ashfords, Hippychick and Viridor) was much enjoyed by singers and audience alike. The 11 competitors, aged between nine and 13, presented an enormously varied programme including music by Purcell, Mozart and Richard Rodney Bennett alongside a range of parlour songs and songs from the shows. All the performers displayed poise and communication – some well beyond their years – and the proficiency on display made the adjudication a very hard task for tenor, Tom Robson who had the unenviable task of selecting a winner and runner up.
Second place was awarded to Ellen Steward (taught by Naomi Harvey) who gave a very assured and musical performance of her chosen songs.
The Cleves Cup, £100 (sponsored by Ashfords) and title of Taunton Junior Young Singer 2016 went to Abigail Govey (taught by Lisa Tustian). Abigail’s rendition of Rodney Bennett’s The Bird’s Lament had every member of the audience transfixed and the warmth with which her performance was received suggested she was the choice of the audience as well as the adjudicator.