Taunton Young Musician
Taunton Young Musician Competition 2018
Taunton Young Musician competition, to be adjudicated by Melanie Ragge, will take place at 2pm on Sunday, 6th May 2018 at Wellington School’s Music Centre.
THE COMPETITION is open to any instrumentalist (apart from a previous winner). The following conditions apply:-
- Entrants to be aged between 14 and 18 on 1 September 2017
- To be resident or attend school within a 50 mile radius of Taunton.
- To have attained grade 7 standard or above. (If no grades have been taken, a recommendation from their instrumental teacher will be required).
- To offer contrasting piece(s) of between 10 & 12 minutes total duration, to include a verbal introduction to the piece(s) to be preformed.
- Copies of music must be provided for the adjudicators. Photocopies will be retained and destroyed immediately after the event in accordance with copyright regulations (see Festival rules).
- Entrants should provide their own accompanists, although an official accompanist is available by arrangement with the organisers. There will be an additional charge made.
- Open to instrumental performers only – singers have their own competition: Taunton Young Singer of the Year (TYS).
- The first 12 entries received will be guaranteed a place.
- The Closing Date for entries is Friday, 9th February, 2018.
- Entry fee of £20 by cheque (payable to Taunton Festival of the Arts) or electronic transfer.
- Completed entries can either be emailed or submitted by post.
Please note that no photography or videoing will be permitted, other than by the festival’s own official photographer.
THE ORGANISERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ADJUST THE RULES, SHOULD THIS BE IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE COMPETITION
The winner will also:
- Receive a glass trophy, donated by Shakspeare Glass, Taunton, to be retained for one year.
- Receive a commemorative cup for permanent retention.
- Be invited to perform as a guest soloist with the Taunton Sinfonietta at their autumn concert.
- Be invited to take part in the Rotary District 1200 Young Musician Competition, if eligible.
On the Day
- All audience members will be admitted at a cost of £7 for the day, with competitor’s teachers, all students and children admitted free of charge.
- The admittance charge includes refreshments during the adjudicator deliberation period.
- Programmes will be available at a cost of £2 each.
Please click here to download an application form. Completed entries can be returned by email or by post, please see the form for more details.