Taunton Young Musician
Taunton Young Musician Competition 2019
Taunton Young Musician competition 2019, the adjudicator for which is yet to be determined, will take place on Sunday, 17th March at Queen’s College, Taunton, commencing at 2pm.
THE COMPETITION is open to any instrumentalist (apart from a previous winner unless performing on a different instrument). The following conditions apply:-
- Entrants to be aged between 14 and 18 on 1 September 2018
- To be resident or attend school within a 50 mile radius of Taunton, and not be related to or have a professional relationship with the adjudicator.
- To have attained grade 7 standard or above. (If no grades have been taken, a recommendation from their instrumental teacher will be required).
- To offer (a) contrasting piece(s) of between 10 & 12 minutes total duration, including time for a short verbal introduction.
- To supply copies of music being performed for the adjudicator. Photocopies will be retained and destroyed immediately after the event.
To provide their own accompanists (although an official accompanist is available by arrangement with the organisers, for which there will be a £25 charge made, to include a runthrough on the day. Additional practices extra).
- Open to instrumental performers only – singers have their own competition: Taunton Young Singer of the Year (TYS).
- The first 10 entries received will be guaranteed a place.
- The Closing Date for entries is Friday, 15th February, 2019.
- Non-returnable entry fee is £25 by electronic transfer (details on request) or cheque (payable to Taunton Festival of the Arts). Late entries will be charged extra
- Completed entries can either be emailed or submitted by post.
Please note that no photography or videoing will be permitted, other than by the festival’s own official photographer.
THE ORGANISERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ADJUST THE RULES, SHOULD THIS BE IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE COMPETITION
The winner will also:
- Receive a glass trophy, donated by Shakspeare Glass Ltd, to be retained for 1 year.
- Receive an inscribed commemorative cup for permanent retention.
- Be invited to perform as a guest soloist with the Taunton Sinfonietta at a concert and take part in the Rotary District 1200 Young Musician Competition, if eligible.
On the Day
- All audience members will be admitted at a cost of £9 for the day, with competitor’s teachers, all students and children admitted free of charge.
- The admittance charge includes refreshments during the adjudicator deliberation period. Programme booklets will also be included.
- Photography/recording of events will not be allowed in the competition room.
- The adjudicator’s decision may not be challenged or queried. Instead, any complaints should be directed to the organisers.
Please click here to download an application form. Completed entries can be returned by email or by post; please see the form for more details.
Taunton Young Musician Competition 2018
The winner was Alexander Heather (Double Bass) with a prize of £300
Second equal were Cristina Dimitrova (Violin) and Poppy McGhee (Violin) who each received a prize of £150
Third place went to Becky Farthing (Violincello) with a priize of £75
The Ron Tickner Educational Trust Prize of £75, for an outstanding performance on the Pianoforte went to Nina Leonard-Savicevic